My site has several layers of brokedness to it, and thus will be killed, roasted, and eaten this evening. I will likely have downtime. I will likely have problems. I’m planning for total chaos, and hoping to be surprised. Wish me luck.
I think this is my karmic punishment for meme tagging. Thanks Nathan. 😀
16 thoughts on “My Site is Teh Brok3”
On a brighter note my local Barns & Noble finally has Linux Journal in stock after being out of it for several months.
Good luck with the depths of web development.
You’re very welcome. I like to be helpful.
You should roll your own. It’s refreshing!
My site has been partially broked too for the last few weeks. I killed all day yesterday on it (see geeky stuff post on my blog) and got it a little more functional.
By any chance – is your hosting provider Godaddy? Although from what I understand WP is a kludgy hosting platform no matter who your host.
Good luck with your efforts!
Good luck, be strong, don’t get all binary on us. I’m not sure what that means, but I like the sound of it.
It is godaddy… sigh
Ah… that explains much. Good luck!
Navigating GoDaddy is almost as easy as doing a Wheres Waldo puzzle that’s been shrunk on a copy machine.
I swear 85% of my issue is Godaddy’s shared server architecture – I must be on one where someone gets Dugg a lot or something. The other 15% is probably WordPress itself. I don’t get a ton of traffic, and it’s not very spiky.
I swear some days it takes my main page 30 sec to resolve & load.
Maybe I will set up some alternate hosting space and rebuild the site from scratch in that new location – as a test. 😛
For what it’s worth, I’m using WordPress and haven’t had any problems with Word Press. In fact, Word Press is more stable for me that Movable Type was. (I’ve had three blog platforms: Word Press, Movable Type, and typing and formatting everything by hand using just HTML. Word Press is the best of the three.)
And update to version 2.5.1 of WordPress, which has over 70 bugs fixes including major security fixes. (Jeri, I posted a comment with some suggestions for you including this).
I’ve had people who’ve had both good and bad luck with GoDaddy’s hosting. Shared servers are problematic, period. But having a dedicated server through a hosting company, unless you have a high-traffic site, isn’t cost-effective for most people.
An alternative to consider, assuming your traffic is low enough/you’re ISP doesn’t have problems with it, is to set up a LAMP system at home and use that (LAMP is Linux, Apache, MySQL, PHP) to set up WordPress and host your site. You then have complete control over everything. You normally need a static IP from your ISP to do this, but you can even get past that that by using dynamic DNS, which allows aliasing of dynamic (DHCP) IP addresses to static hostnames. DynDNS is one such company that offers this service.
I reset my LRP to be quadraphobular about a week ago. This has caused my qFarb to be extremely balky when operating in SIQ2 mode. It’s all the more frustrating since I was hoping to upgrade to UVAT 2.3 when it comes out next week, but obviously, if I can’t get the RESQ up and running, the upgrade won’t be supported. Ah well, I’ll just recalibrate the whole thing and reset for PAUtZ. That oughta take care of things.
Nathan, PAUtZ has known stability issues, and don’t get me started on UVAT 2.3. If you’re running quadraphobular, your servers should all be properly rectified. If you’re already using kernel based rectification, be sure to allow for inverted phob shift. I’m just sayin.
I still think the IBM Selectric was a miracle. I mean, you could change the little metal ball with all the letters on it. I remember using carbon paper. (Stick it in right and you could do 7 copies at once.)
This is in fact, a test.
I like the martian sunrise